Among my friends, I'm known as the book person. As a result, whenever someone is looking for a book recommendation they come to me. This time of the year, this happens a lot since summer is fast approaching and a lot of my friends are typically seasonal readers--as in they read when they have time to do so and that time is often summer. Like I did last year, I thought I would post these recommendations--by genre--her on the blog as well. First up, some contemporary recommendations.
- Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally - Last year I recommended Catching Jordan and I would still stand by that recommendation for anyone looking for a great contemporary read. But this year I read Things I Can't Forget and I have to admit I loved it even more. Like Kenneally's other books, Things I Can't Forget is different from other YA contemporaries out there, so if that's what you're looking for then I strongly recommend this one.
- Just One Day by Gayle Forman - Everyone has been raving about Gayle Forman's Just One Day and that is totally warranted. If you're an older YA reader, then I would strongly recommend Just One Day. The story will pull at your heartstrings and take you on a crazy emotional ride. Be prepared to scream at the characters and want to throw your book across the room at certain parts. But it's totally worth it.
- Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach - Once again, if you are looking for a contemporary that is completely different from any other out there, than give Geoff Herbach's Stupid Fast a try. This one can also appeal to male readers as the story is very much boy-centric, with the may character being a slightly socially awkward teenage boy. And if you pick up this book, I can guarantee you will be in for a laugh.
- Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson - Second Chance Summer is one of those books that will pull at your heartstrings. There is no way you can read this book and not tear up at least a little. But it's not necessarily a depressing story, just a very emotional one. But be prepared to be greatly surprised by this story, because I was. But it's completely worth your time.
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry - Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry took me completely by surprise. This is an incredibly touching and surprisingly deep story that may or may not keep you up reading half the night. This is definitely one of those less happy contemps though, so be warned. But it's still a fantastic one.
This is by far not an extensive list of contemporary recommendations. There are just so many fantastic contemps out there and this list could go on forever. You can always check out last year's post for more contemporary recommendations. And be sure to come back next week for some paranormal recommendations.